What does a Careers Leader do?
Simply put, Careers Leaders are responsible and accountable for the delivery of their school or college’s careers programme. And the ‘careers programme’ means the school or college’s strategy, plans and arrangements for delivering careers guidance.
It’s a senior role that requires a clear view and understanding of the school or college’s careers programme, and to make sure the Gatsby Benchmarks are met.
The Careers Leader needs to be someone who can:
- Liaise with external partners, such as employers, learning providers and career guidance services
- Coordinate and manage the various elements of the careers programme with a stable and embedded strategy
- Take responsibility for continuous improvement of the careers programme, ensuring that it delivers the kinds of impacts that are needed for young people
- Pay careful attention to feedback from all stakeholders and to the destinations of pupils
‘The Careers Leader should have influence across the school, special school or college, and buy-in from the Governors and senior leadership team. Since September 2018, every school and college has been expected to have appointed a named person to this role.’
Key policy context and statutory guidance
Here are some useful links to external sites that will help to provide further context around key policies and statutory guidance:
We offer a number of key resources to support new Careers Leaders, along with our comprehensive, free training offer. We recommend taking a look at the following resources to get you started:
Understand the role of Careers Leader, and the support offered through our Enterprise Adviser Network, by following our roadmaps for success.
Access case studies of best practice in schools, as well as tips and practical suggestions for successfully implementing the eight Gatsby Benchmarks.
Identify what ‘good’ looks like across all eight Gatsby Benchmarks, see useful case studies, and follow practical suggestions for putting the benchmarks into practice.
If you are working to deliver the Gatsby Benchmarks for young people with SEND – in any setting – you will find lots of practical help in this toolkit.
Transform your careers programme and develop your skills as a Careers Leader to strategically embed careers in the curriculum.
Watch this webinar and access the accompanying resources to gain all support you need to start creating your strategic careers plan.
Continue your learning around benchmark 1 with this, the second of four modules designed to help you create a strategic careers plan.
View the module 3 webinar on how to present a careers programme and all its associated resources – and start creating your strategic careers plan today.
Complete your Gatsby Benchmark 1 webinar training with this, the final module in the series – offering all the support you need for the evaluation element of the benchmark.
Funded training key stats
The recently published evaluation report for funded training showed that:
- 91% of participants are either satisfied or very satisfied with the overall training programme
- 96% of participants either agreed or strongly agreed that the training had helped them to identify action to improve their practice
- 99% of participants reported that they were able to review and evaluate their school/college careers programme after they had participated in the course, compared with 74% prior to the training
Find out more here